The 10 Strangest Laws
Many UK laws have been around for hundreds of years and are still in place today.
Most laws are understandable and help prevent criminal activity while others seem a little obscure. We’ve put together our list of the top strangest laws;
- It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
- It is an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8 am
- It is an executable offence to allow your pet to mate with a pet of the royal house without permission
- The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen
- In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi or try and ride on a bus if you have the plague
- Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day
- It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down
- It is illegal to keep a pigsty in front of your house
- It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour
- It is an offence to be intoxicated and in charge of a cow in Scotland
Know any strange laws that we’ve missed? Leave a comment and let us know!